The latest project I am working on is a PoV display that I can attach to a fan blade. I finally got it all soldered up on some perf board. Now I just need to trim the board and figure out what I’m going to do for power. Currently it can take power either from the USB-to-TTL header or through a simple little 5v power circuit. The project is based of a breadboard Arduino kit I built for a class I taught last month and a TLC5940 16-Channel LED driver. I did a pretty sloppy job soldering it all together but I plan on printing a PCB or having one printed for this eventually, so it doesn’t really matter.
Once it was built, I started working on the sketch for the PoV. Luckily, someone built a very nice Arduino library for the TLC5490 so programming with this chip is a cinch. The hardest part was setting up byte arrays for each character I want to display, but I couldn’t really thing of a better way to do it than this. Here is a link to the code and photoshop file I used to create the arrays.
I should have some good video of it working tomorrow or over the weekend, expect another post soon with more details.